For 3 generations of vine growers, in 1900 or so, Grandfather Constantine began his occupation with vines in Archanes Heraklion. Then father Aristides, following in his father's footsteps and having gained 25 years of experience in Alexandria, Egypt, acquired in 1954 the 220 acres of land in Kastelliana at the foot of the Asterousia Mountains, which consisted mainly of the monastic vines of the Sinaitic monastery of the Holy Apostles, adding crops such as olive groves and pistachios.
The family created with love for the land and respect for tradition a 500-acre (50-hectare) estate that includes a 250-acre (25-hectare) vineyard. One of the largest single vineyards in Cretan land. Taking another step towards the dream of turning the raw material into an endless tasting journey, in early 2006 the construction of the winery began and was completed in 2007 when it began full operation.
Aiming for high-quality wines to be inextricably linked to the "terroir" in which the vines that have embodied its flavors have been grown, the winery marks the family's core philosophy, the harmonious combination of traditional and modern. It is an important stop on the wine road and it is worth noting that the "Strataridakis Winery" is the southernmost of the Old Continent.
Kastelliana is the village of the province of Monofatsi on the outskirts of southeastern Messara, it is built at the northern root of the Asterousia and at a distance of 48 km south from Heraklion. They took their name from the imposing and anciently inhabited Kastelo, where during the Venetian rule the famous fortress "Castel de Belvedere" was built, on which was the seat of the homonymous Castellania Belvedere (the word means Kallithea) and played an important role during the first centuries of struggle to consolidate Venetian rule in Crete. The hill is isolated and precipitous on all sides, except for the southeast from where the ascent is made.
Most of the way to the top is through olive groves. Climbing from the south side of the hill to the top, you will come across the ruins of the Venetian "Castel de Belvendere" and the remains of several Byzantine churches. The location of the hill justifies the name, as the view from the top is panoramic and you can enjoy the wonderful view of the Messaritiko plain and the image of the serpentine bed of the ancient "Pothorea" (Anapodaris river)